Don't you love to step on a boat and start holidaying? Has it ever come to your mind what goes in making a boat deck so that it retains its texture and ensures longevity in the long run? Well, in this blog, we will explore the different materials which go into boat decking. An ideal flooring material can protect the vessel from extraneous factors. It will add a dash of uniqueness and style to the flooring.
Materials for Boat Decking:
Before we go ahead, it is important to emphasise that a lot goes in the boat’s making, and the boat deck accentuates the look of the boat and stability to it. So, what are the popular choices for boat decking?
Here we will explore the same:
- Wood: It has been the favourite material for boat decking. Wood offers durability, but one needs to maintain it regularly. Even if one cannot maintain and upkeep it regularly, wood still lasts longer because of the ruggedness it offers. They can use different types of hardwood for making the deck of the boat. Oak is a popular choice, it is durable, offers flexibility, and water-resistant. All these features make Oak a good choice for the boat deck. But Oak can be oily, and it would not be easy to apply epoxy on it. Wood is good for boat cabins and interior floors, but for the exterior part, then it can be slippery, so we have to switch to another option.
- Linoleum or Vinyl: The next material that makes our list is Linoleum, but it must be used in space, which is enclosed and has air conditioning. We can use vinyl planks for boat flooring. These look like wooden plank and are water-resistant, thus making it a perfect choice for boat decking. Vinyl plank is reusable and can re-install if the boat is remodelled. If you are buying a vinyl plank, you must check their durability. A thick vinyl will resist the UV-rays and will be long-lasting.
- Specialty Paints: These are special paints specially formulated for boat floors. Choose the paint which has lower toxicity, cheap, and the one that can be cleaned with water. There is high-quality acrylic boat floor paint, which is water-resistant and is free from any strong smell. Another notable feature of this paint is that it doesn't flake and is water-resistant.
- Canvas: This is the oldest material which has been used by boat builders. These are durable and water-resistance. These are thick and rugged, thus making it suitable for extreme environmental conditions. Canvas is weaved from a special fabric that is pigmented prior to extrusion; this reduces fading. You can find canvas in different colours, so you can choose the colour that matches and accentuate your boat's look.
- Carpeting: This will add a classic and regal appeal to the boat. It's a textile-based floor covering used as the upper layer of the boat and attaches as a backing material to it. They make the textile part of nylon, wool, olefin, polyester, or polypropylene. Carpeting is a good choice for boat decking, but it is good for only a specific area. These are good for indoor cabins of ships and boats. These will instantly spruce up the look of the cabin.
So, these are the popular choice of boat decking. Before you invest in any of the material, check the quality of the same and then invest in the right boat decking material. Make sure you connect with a professional for application of the above materials.